Established with a view of ‘taking women to the core of the transformation of society,’ this initiative aims to create an exclusive woman-to-woman network across the length and breadth of Maharashtra.
Mr. Abhijit Pawar, MD of Sakal Media Group, conceived and initiated this idea. On 11th April, 2013 on the auspicious day of Gudhi Padva,(Hindu new year) the Tanishka forum initiative took off by erecting the Gudhi of Stree Pratishtha at the Mahalakshmi Temple at Kolhapur followed by 6250 locations across the state of Maharashtra. Having started with 1,500 members, the Tanishka Forum has crossed 100,000 members in less than 9 months and is growing every day. There are villages across the state, which are in fact 100% Tanishka villages – with members from every family within the village.
Facilitated in its early stages by the 1,700 strong-network of Sakal reporters, the Tanishka forum has had a tremendous impact on the local-level development issues. The strength of the network is showcased through each one of the 3000 success stories experienced in this short span – successes in bringing water to the village or enabling women to now be rightful owners of land in their villages or bringing health care services to areas that have never seen doctors and many more.
Key features of Tanishka Forum
- Grassroots network
- Spread across each and every district (35) in Maharashtra with representation from every Taluka
- Currently 1,00,000 members and growing
- Diverse and inclusive
- Represents minorities, backwards and tribal communities
- Represents urban and rural communities
- Operates through groups of 20 members called ‘Forums’
- 24/7 communication backbone provided by SAKAL through a dedicated call center
- Phenomenal success stories of grass roots level transformations